Around the United States, unhappy workers are costing employers around $450 to 550 billion dollars each year – this is according to a Gallup report on the state of the American workforce. This is no laughing matter. US workers are growing increasingly disengaged from their employers, with some estimates around 70 percent of the workforce actively seeking other opportunities or just plain unhappy.
Where do these costs to employers come from? When employees are unhappy, they:
- Are generally less productive and motivated at work
- Tend to come into work late or leave early each day
- Miss work days due to unplanned illness, headaches, and stress
- Grumble and bring everyone else down around them
- Have behavioral problems or don’t get along with others
- Miss sales opportunities and treat customers badly
And these are just the start of what unhappiness looks like. Now, imagine an entire team that acts like this? The whole unhappiness thing can tear apart a company’s morale in very little time.
How can employers improve employee satisfaction and happiness to produce a more productive and engaged workforce?
- Give employees a reason to be happy. Provide meaningful work tasks that are matched to employee skills and interests. Reward them with a fair salary and benefits.
- Don’t take employees for granted. Give employees a reason to stick around, through progressive promotions and ongoing recognition.
- Avoid overworking employees. Hire temporary people to augment your current workforce, during peak seasons and to replace departing employees.
- Provide flexible schedules. All employees deserve work-life balance, and when they experience the support of an employer, they will be loyal and productive when they are at work.
If you follow the above tips, you can avoid having any unhappy or unproductive employees around who will cost the company too much money.
Looking to Grow Your Workforce This Spring?
Contact the premier team of recruiters at PrideStaff Atlanta for additional help and support with the growth and development of your workforce.