North Atlanta clerical and light industrial job seekers can use these hard hitting resume tips for more impact. These tips come from 10 years of working with hiring managers and business owners at top North Atlanta employers.
4 Changes You can Make Today for a Hard Hitting Resume
These 4 hard hitting resume tips require minimal effort. A more effective resume will equate to more interviews and better opportunities for you!
Tip #1 – Include Dates of Employment on your Resume
100% of job seekers tell me they are looking for stable employment. Guess what…employers are looking for commitment and loyalty from job candidates too. Including your prior dates of employment is a simple way to do this. Note: With Applicant Tracking Systems becoming more prevalent, it’s also more likely that employers have a previous version of your resume on file. Make sure the dates of prior employment and names of prior employers are consistent.
Tip #2 – Add Hard Hitting Details on Equipment and Software
Customer service and office professionals should include the software applications they have used.
- ERP experience (Oracle, SAP, Netsuite, etc)
- CRM experience (Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Zoho, etc)
- MS Office experience – Microsoft Excel users should include any experience using Pivot tables and functions such as VLOOKUP.
Manufacturing and warehouse professionals can also benefit from adding more detail on their experience.
- What types of forklifts or pallet jacks have you operated?
- Have you used an RF scan gun?
- What types of machines did you operate?
- What warehouse equipment and safety certifications do you have?
- Software experience – Any experience using MS Word, MS Excel, ERP or Warehouse Management Systems
Tip #3 – Include Location Information on your Resume
Pay attention to where a job is located and make sure it is obvious on your resume if you live nearby or if you have worked nearby in the past. Atlanta is notorious for having long commutes and lots of traffic. Many hiring managers place a high value on candidates living nearby for better attendance and punctuality. Proximity = Better Attendance and Punctuality.
Sometimes, including your address or the town where your recent jobs were located can give you a leg up on the competition. Even if you don’t live nearby, it can be helpful to show that you have worked in Alpharetta, Roswell, Cumming, Suwanee, Duluth, Johns Creek, etc. in the recent past.
Tip #4 – Show Responsibility and Career Progression on your Resume
Just as longevity in a job is important, it’s also a good idea to include more detail on promotions and any changes in your responsibility over the course of your employment at a company.
- Were you asked to train others in your department?
- How many people did you work with on your team? Or how many people did you supervise? Who did you report to?
- How many calls did you take per day? How many clients were you responsible for?
- How many widgets did you make per day? How many orders did you pick? How many packages did you ship?
A Hard Hitting Resume is just a few steps away
By using the above tips, your new resume will help give you the confidence to go back out there and find a great job.
Here are 2 more articles on on writing an effective resume – “Resume tips to Maximize your Job Search Potential” and “Writing a Great Resume with Limited Work History.”
You can also visit MyAtlantaCareer.com for additional pro tips on finding your next job and managing your career. Registration is free and provides access to resources, including live and recorded webinars, on resume writing, interviewing skills, job networking techniques, etc.